Monday, January 28, 2013

Quiet Reflections: Spiders in the Shower






Quiet Reflections from a Mothers Heart to her Daughters...






Dear Daughters,

This morning there was a spider in my shower. He did not belong there. I don't like spiders. We was too big to wash down the drain and the hot water seemed to have no effect on him. There wasn't a shoe for my to smash with with in the bathroom so I did the next best thing and took my toothbrush holder and put it over him until I finished my shower and could get my weapon-a shoe-to alleviate his presence from my shower.

During the whole shower I keep looking at that upside down container making sure it didn't tip or moved. Washing my face was a challenge. I allowed the fear of that hairy little spider paralyze me from something that could have been so enjoyable and relaxing. As I think on it now that was so stupid!! My bare foot alone could have stomped that unwanted guest out of existence-I was so much bigger then he was. GRIEF.

Life is like that. Too often we allow the "unwanted" to enter our life and paralyze us from what God has in store for us. The unwanted, like that spider, can be a rough time or a sin that God never intended for us to live with but we allowed it in. It comes from satan with the sole purpose to keep you from God. We allow it in by not keeping our house (body, mind and spirit) protected. We allow it in by choosing to be in places where we cannot honor God. We allow it in by not facing up to it and covering it up like I did that spider in the shower.

Anything not of God can represent that spider. It can paralyze you from reaching your full potential in life or from having the best that God has in store for you.  When I was fresh out of high school my life became my life and I lived it for me. For 10 years my selfishness yielded plenty of regrets...regrets I still have to live with today. Though God's grace and forgiveness and relieved me of the responsibility of carrying those regrets it doesn't free me of their consequences-most of which I will not fully comprehend until I come face-to-face with Christ.

I don't want that for you. Be smart. Be realistic about what satan puts into your life. Choose to be on God's side of life and watch Him blow you away with His protection and interventions...watch Him stomp satan right out of your life!!

And so while there has never been any question about your honesty in these matters—I couldn’t be more proud of you!—I want you also to be smart, making sure every “good” thing is the real thing. Don’t be gullible in regard to smooth-talking evil. Stay alert like this, and before you know it the God of peace will come down on Satan with both feet, stomping him into the dirt. Enjoy the best of Jesus! ~ Rom 16:19-20 (Message)

There is a simple action that can keep you from experiencing those spiders in your showers. That simple act? Keeping your focus on God. Seeking Him daily through His Word, talking to Him constantly, growing your love for Him and becoming desperately dependent on Him.

Your momma has done this. It is living this way that I have found I have less spiders in my shower. And when those unwanted guest show up, I know I can count on God to stomp them out of my life. Instead of fear for these spiders, I learn from their presence and I grow stronger when I allow God to be in control of my life-all of it.

So what did I do with that spider in my shower? It met the back side of a summer sandal as soon as I had dried off. Next time I won't wait so long to take action. I encourage you to do the same!!

Love Out Loud girls!

I love you!!

Mom




No comments: