Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hearing God's Voice

Today I am commenting from the blog Bible study I am participating in from my dear friend Lelia's site (http://leliachealey.blogspot.com/). We are in chapter two of Lysa TerKeurst book "What Happens When Women Say YES to God". Lysa (http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/) is president of Proverbs 31 Ministry and has such a talent for bringing women closer to God. This week's chapter challenged us to open ourselves to hearing God's word and gave us principles to use to measure if what we are hearing is indeed from God. These principles are shared by Lelia on her blog site.

We are all seeking transformation-to become a women after God's own heart, chosen to do great and mighty things for Him, and to be able to hear His voice, right? So where does this transformation come form?

"If we want the fruit of the Spirit to grow in us, we must join our lives to His.
We must know him, Love him, remember him, and imitate him"
Lysa TerKeurst, pp.29

It comes first and foremost with faith-faith that Jesus came to sacrifice Himself for us so that we might have a way to God-it's called salvation. And through salvation-believing Jesus is the son of God, died for our sin, rose again for us so that we might have life in eternity with Him-that we gain the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide us into being like Christ. We begin the transformation process by being a women that says "yes" to God in anything and everything.

"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us,
not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,
so that, having been justified by his grace,
we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."
~Titus 3: 4-7

Not that we are worthy of this gift of the Holy Spirit or this gift of grace we live in, but because God loved us so much and desires we have a relationship with Him. Only then can we be transformed. Living in and through Him requires time spent with him daily-through reading of Scripture, Bible studies, spiritual readings from good Christian authors, scripture memorization, serving others, songs of praise, etc-activities that can lead us to become more like Christ. It take releasing ourselves-our past failures, our own desires-so that we can be more like Him, desiring what He wants for our life above everything else!

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory,
being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory,
which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18

Unveil your heart, your life, your thoughts, your actions so that you you can come clean and allow God to enter in. Like Lelia stated, you have to to "reek of obedience to God...I want others to taste Jesus when they see me because I choose to say YES GOD!"

The most significant part of this chapter for me comes from the last full paragraph: "...to this day I have to seek it by asking for the desire, discipline, discernment, direction and delight. I ask for the desire to want God more than anything else. I ask for discipline to make my relationship with him top priority. I ask for discernment to know the difference between my own thoughts and God's voice. I ask for clear direction at each crossroad in my life. I ask for my relationship with God to be characterized by sheer delight rather than a sense of duty".

This has become my prayer. Make it yours too and you will succeed at becoming a women who says "yes" to God in anything and everything.
I love becoming a women who says YES to God!

In His Graces~Pamela

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
~Jeremiah 29:13

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Great perspective! This has been a great study and the blogging part is fun too!

Have a great night!
Jen

Christie Todd said...

Thank you so much for your input on fear. I really appreciate it!
Christie Todd

Amy said...

Great post!
It is so hard sometimes for me knowing the difference between what I think and what God says.:)
I struggled with fear about posting yesterday about Facts vs. Feelings, but I realized fear doesn't come from God. So I posted it in faith. Then God had several women read it and comment on it (thank you for your encouraging words), and He gave me confirmation through other believers.
He's so faithful, but I had to trust Him first, then He gave me the confirmation.
I pray that God speaks to you today during your alone time with Him.:)
Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me.
God Bless!
Amy:)

Heather said...

I love that quote too. It's packed full of so much truth.

Lelia Chealey said...

AWESOME PAM!
Love the obvious heart you have for God!! You encourage me so much. We need to talk "She Speaks"...I'll email you next week about it.
Keep up with your great posts. You're a great teacher.
Love ya,
Lelia