Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday Doors

I love old doors. The bigger the better, the more detailed the lovelier. I have a collection of door pictures and eventually will put them into a frame and onto my walls. Why? Doors represent life, they represent journeys, the represent the spiritual. Sometimes on the other side there is promises of peace, healing, or there may be a new ministry, a new person to witness to, and sometimes on the other side of that door Christ is waiting.

It has slowed down for me this week and I had the joy of blog-hopping. I was so excited when I stopped by Rachel Olson's blog site to find that she was doing a daily posting on this season of advent and using beautiful doors to depict the spiritual significance of drawing closer to God. I have not given "Advent" much thought in the past. I have seen the calendars for this. I even went this year surfing for more information on it's meaning, looked for a book to read, etc. I want this year, this Christmas, to be more spiritual and less secular. God answered my prayers with Rachel's blog site. I don't have to spend a penny (which I don't have at the moment) to live out this advent season. It was a God thing!

Reading Rachel's post these last few days and adding in my fascination here with doors, I felt God asking "What does the door to your heart look like this advent season?".

We are good at decorating our doors for the seasons. The picture below on the left is not my door. There is nothing wrong with decorating for the season, don't misunderstand me here. I have a simple Christmas decoration hanging on my door (as kind of seen in the picture of my door on the right). Nothing fancy. A red tin vase holding an array of pine branches and pine cones. It's pretty but no blinking lights. No Satan Claus, reindeer's or snowmen. No "wow" factor I am afraid. Simple. Simple is good but dare I venture to say uninviting? I hope not. I want the door of my house and the door of my heart to say "come near, see what is good in my life and let me share with you how this happen....it all started many years ago in a little town called Bethlehem.....

In this Christmas season it is so easy to get wrapped up in the madness of shopping, office parties and family dinners...but how is our heart decorated? Are we paying more attention to man's view of Christmas or are we focused on Christ in CHRISTmas? Decorate the door to your heart with love, compassion, servanthood, grace, and forgiveness. Remove the anger, bitterness, envy, and greed. Decorate in truth, not in the flashy and unreal. Radiate the presence of the one we celebrate this season and worship all year long...CHRIST! Draw Him in this season!!

Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it.

Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.

For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD.
~Prov. 8:33-35

Well ladies, what does the door of your heart look like this advent season?

10 comments:

much2ponder said...

This was a very nice post. I have not taken the time to consider this thought, but now I will. Thank you for posting what's on your heart so I can allow my heart to take it in. God bless.

Rachel Olsen said...

Hey Pamela. You and I think a lot alike! I would love to come knock on your simply adorned door, share a cup of coffee or tea, and hear your story of life.

Smiles ~ Rachel

LisaShaw said...

This is a very thought provoking message. Wonderful!

Laura said...

I'm drawing Him in, Sister! You have inspired me. I love doors too and I love what you say about their symbolism.

Beautiful!

Yolanda said...

Its simply not about the fluff, is it? All those decorations, while they are pretty to look at, they can also be very deceiving.

Great thoughts!

Love,
Yolanda

Paula V said...

This is a great encouragement, Pamela. I'm trying to really focus on Christ this season. I've never really been focused on the hussle and bussle of the commercial Christmas. However, my struggle is focusing on the blessings of Christ isn't of what I don't have and what I hope for. I'm trying to let Christ's goodness override my heart's pain and sadness.
Thanks for this reminder and reflection of our door.
Love,
Paula

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Open and ready to receive! Come, Lord Jesus and sit with me awhile.

peace~elaine

Unknown said...

We are spending two weeks with family in Chicago this year. That always beings joy and challenges. I'm doing a lot of evaluating of my heart before we leave. I want the visit to not be about gifts but about love and sharing the true meaning of Christmas, the true significance. Thanks for the reminder dear friend.

P.S. Stop by...I have something for you at the blog

LynnSC said...

Hi Pamela,
That was such a neat post. I loved your thoughts on doors. You are so right, they represent so many things.

and... the door to my heart. Well... I need to think on that one. I know what I want it to look like, but the question is... Does Jesus see it that way??
Thanks so much for giving me so much to think about,
Lynn

Carol said...

I stopped by to catch up on your blog. I've been away from bloggy land, and missed the last two chapters of Behind those Eyes. I'm posting those later this weekend.

I appreciate you sharing your testimony, and Todd's book. I think the journey through Lisa's book has really made me want a real Christmas, not a store bought one.

Thanks for sharing.

Carol