Thursday, April 16, 2009

ABC's of the Word...."J"


It's Thursday's and Pam from Grey Like Snuffie is hosting this wonderful scripture activity "ABC's of the Word". Be sure to go to her site by clicking on the flowered icon above to read all the scripture other women are posting and be blessed!!


This week our letter is "J" and I am taking a different approach with this. How appropriate for the letter "J" to follow the Easter celebration of the resurrection of the one we call Jesus, Savior, Redeemer, Lover of my soul...what is He to you? As I thought about this question, I turned to one of the front pages in my Bible where I have the different names of Christ written. So today, I share a few of God's names here with you and I ask...which one is He for you today in your current circumstances?

JEHOVAH: 'LORD' (all capitals). Yahweh-the covenant name of God. Occurs 6823 times in the OT First use Gen. 2:4

JEHOVAH-JIREH: "The Lord will Provide." Gen. 22:14.

JEHOVAH-ROPHE: "The Lord Who Heals" Ex. 15:22-26.

JEHOVAH-RAAH: "The Lord my shepherd". Psa. 23, 79:13, 95:7, 80:1, 100:3; Gen. 49:24; Isa. 40:11.

JEHOVAH-NISSI: "The Lord Our Banner." Ex. 17:15. He fights my battles.

JEHOVAH-M'KADDESH: "The Lord Who Sanctifies" Lev. 20:8. "To make whole, set apart for holiness."

JEHOVAH-SHALOM: "The Lord Our Peace" Judges 6:24.

JEHOVAH ELOHIM: "LORD God" Gen. 2:4; Judges 5:3; Isa. 17:6; Zeph. 2:9; Psa. 59:5, etc.

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU: "The Lord Our Righteousness" Jer. 23:5, 6, 33:16.

JEHOVAH-ROHI: "The Lord Our Shepherd" Psa. 23, from "ro'eh" (to pasture).

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH: "The Lord is There" (Ezek. 48:35).

JEHOVAH-SABAOTH: "The Lord of Hosts" The commander of the angelic host and the armies of God. Isa. 1:24; Psa. 46:7, 11; 2 Kings 3:9-12; Jer. 11:20; Rom. 9:29; James 5:4, Rev. 19: 11-16.

EL ROI: "God of Seeing" Hagar in Gen. 16:13. The God Who opens our eyes.

El SHADDAI: "The all-sufficient one". Gen. 17:1-2, 31:29, 49:24, 25; Prov. 3:27; Micah 2:1; Isa. 60:15, 16, 66:10-13; Ruth 1:20, 21.

El OLAM: "The everlasting God"(God of everlasting time). Gen. 21:33; Psa. 90:1-3, 93:2; Isa. 26:4.

ADONAI: "Lord, Master". Gen. 15:2; Ex. 4:10; Judges 6:15; 2 Sam. 7:18-20; Ps. 8, 114:7, 135:5, 141:8, 109:21-28.


So I ask you again...which name represents what He is for you today...in your current life circumstances?

Personally, I would have to go with JEHOVAH-NISSI. He must fight my battles because I am too weary to go it alone.

Those who know Your name trust in You because You have not abandoned those who seek You, LORD. ~ Ps 9:10 (HCSB)

His Maidservant~Pamela


5 comments:

pam said...

I LOVE this post!!!! El Roi...God of seeing...the God who opens our eyes. I'll claim that one. There is a mess in me that I need Him to make sense of...need a breakthrough. So thankful we have the One true, I AM!

Yolanda said...

El Roi

He has opened my eyes to so much and I have much to be thankful for. One is your friendship, Friend.

This means a lot to me, the approach you have taken this week as our Community group is participating in "Lord, teach me to pray." And we are learning just this....

Love,
Yolanda

Just A Girl said...

ADONAI: Lord & Master! As I bring my will under His!!

This is such a wonderful post Pamela!!! I just love all the names that describe who He is.

Thanks,

:) Cori G.

Peggy said...

Blessings Pamela...Perfect choice and excellent way to glorify JESUS & Who He is by reflecting in His Names!

When I finished mine, JEHOVAH JIREH came to my mind and I almost changed but I'm so glad that you focused on JESUS!

You are so right, with this being the week of Jesus' Resurrection what better way to exalt Him as in what He is to me?

I have found JESUS to be each of these to me at different times!
Since Jehovah Jireh came to me, that must be the one for me in my life right now. He does & I am eternally grateful in the many ways He provides and this is not just in physical provision.

Every morning, He is my Adonai because I awake with that song on my lips and in my heart as I sing & listen to Him!

Thank you Pamela for choosing this approach to reflect on this for today! May JESUS be Jehovah Nissi every day for you! I know I need Him to fight my battles also, without Jesus, without His armor,fighting in the flesh,
is useless. may Jesus go before us in the battle & we know He won the victory each time we celebrate His Resurrection! Praise the Name of Jesus!

Libby said...

This post is wonderful!!! I've always said I wanted to do a study on all the different names of God...and now here they are all ready for me to start reading.

My favorite has always been Adonai I have to say. He is the highest of high, name above all names!!
Love ya girlie!!