Sunday, October 18, 2009

Invigorate My Soul...

I decided to memorize the same scripture that Beth Moore is memorizing with our Siesta Scripture Memory Team. It nudged my heart. I posted it on my facebook and someone asked what was wrong. Obviously they couldn't read my mind and heart (really now! smile)but that made me decide to look a little deeper.

Life is good right now. It has its usual ups and downs but when I read this scripture that Beth posted I was drawn to the word "invigorate":

"Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well, use your decrees to put iron in my soul." Ps 119:175 (The Message)

Like my morning cup of coffee, that is what my God is to me when I am spending time in His word...invigorating ("to give life and energy", Websterdictionary.com; "strengthen, vitalize", Christiandictionary.com). My women's ministry partner Shera and I have recognized that God is leading us to move His ministry forward into more of a precept study of His Word. There is this urgency to grow deeper, more soundly in and through the scripture...to put "iron into our souls". So I was even more pleased when I looked at the verses surrounding this one I chose. Though David has gone through a rough dark time his comfort has come in knowing God personally, up close. Though I am not necessarily going through a "dark" time right now (thank you Jesus), how appropriate these verses are as we think about leading His ministry in a new direction...


Let my cry come right into your presence, God; provide me with the insight that comes only from your Word. Give my request your personal attention, rescue me on the terms of your promise. Let praise cascade off my lips; after all, you've taught me the truth about life! And let your promises ring from my tongue; every order you've given is right. Put your hand out and steady me since I've chosen to live by your counsel. I'm homesick, God, for your salvation; I love it when you show yourself! Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well, use your decrees to put iron in my soul. And should I wander off like a lost sheep—seek me! I'll recognize the sound of your voice. Ps 119:169-176 (The Message)


We are seeking to do as Paul did in Galatians chapter one to seek the TRUTH at the SOURCE so that others will also seek Him more deeply and choose to worship more fully our Creator. It is to crave Him more than that morning cup of coffee and to feel homesick when not enough time is given Him. Always, always open your Bible in that quiet time. There are so many beautiful Christian authors out there and I have grow so much by what God laid on their hearts but they will tell you that though God placed His words in their writings, your greatest reward will come by combining it with scripture. Take the time to reference the scripture from your devotional reading by touching the pages of your Bible. Mark it, memorize it, meditate on. There have been plenty of times I have left a quiet time without opening to the scripture referenced. It is like walking away from a gift, bow intact.


I am once again reading a book of the New Testament for this month. I choose Galatians. I read a chapter a day each week and it is amazing the different things I will receive from God each week. Same verses, different moment. James is a powerful book to do this with. My fiend Shera is reading a much bigger book and reads several chapters a day. If you don't have a routine set, try this. Start with James. You'll be amazed at what happens.


Holy God, Father of grace, provide us with insight from Your WORD. Teach us the TRUTH about life and may praises of you flow from our lips. May the promises of Your WORD be our hope and our strength. May your steady hand guide us as we grow deeper in you and stronger in Your Precepts. Invigorate our souls so we can praise you well. Use Your Decrees to put iron in our soul. And make us homesick for You when we do not give you the time you deserve. Holy God, we want to know you better and to love you better. We want to see you and to walk along side you each day. We want to recognize your voice. We are your servants. Make us holy as you have said, "Be holy as I am Holy" (1 Peter 1:16). ~ Amen



7 comments:

Laura said...

You always inspire me, Pamela! I don't get out much, blogwise, lately; and so I have missed you! I"m glad things are going well.

Blessings, sister!

Jill Beran said...

Great words Pamela! I am a book lover, but you are so right it all starts with and eventually must go back to the Bible!

I haven't looked at our registrations, but wondering if you still have plans for Rise and Shine? Our little man was born last Monday, so thinking God timed that quite well and hoping to be at the retreat with my new little bundle of joy!!

Blessings to you,
Jill

Paula V said...

I love the word invigorate also. It is so refreshings, so alive.

Invigorate my soul SO I can praise you WELL. Iron in my soul...

Glad things are going well for you and no fires or trials. That is always a blessed time.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Ladies, thank you. As soon as I wrote "life is good", satan has reminded me where it is not good. Learning to trust though. Learning to trust.

In His Graces~Pamela

Jackie said...

I love the KJV! " Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgements help me."
Thank you for taking time to minister through your blog. I read a post from you quite a while back and saved your blog spot because of what similar pasts we share. I cried when I read it, it was something I lived. I can't seem to find the one I came across that day, but know God meant it for me. Thank you for using what you went through to comfort others.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Jackie, if you come back, e-mail me: in.his.grace@live.com

You don't have a blog? Do you have a facebook?

His Maidservant~Pamela

Unknown said...

I love the book of James! I do need to get more consistent with my Bible reading. Thank you for the kick in the pants. Love you and miss you bunches!!