Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Proverbs 31 Journey: Sandals of Peace


Memory/Meditation verse: Her ways [wisdom] are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed. ~ Prov. 3: 17-18 (HCSB)

We continue our journey discovering the make-up of the Proverbs 31 Woman that makes her so beautiful externally and internally. In the last post we started looking at Ephesians 6 and correlating this with the woman who seeks to follow God with all her heart and mind and how she must prepare herself for each day by wearing the armor of God. Review our passage from Ephesians 6:
11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.
In the last post we discovered the Belt of truth, a required garment for godly living. We learned that to be in God's word, to live it out and to put it to heart is a sanctifying process that sets us apart. To wear the Belt of Truth protects us against the fiery arrows of satans attacks. It enables us to stand strong in what God has called us to.

This week, lets look at another piece of armor we need to wear to be a Proverbs 31 Woman: the Sandal of Peace (as I will call it) as recorded in verse 15. Read it in the Amplified version:

And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace.

What was P
aul implying with this analogy of this Sandal of Peace? I believe that Paul is referencing a peace that result from a spiritual covering of stability in Christ. A stability of spiritual wisdom that readies us for the battles we will live through and through the circumstances that will pull at us. This peace is a gift that come from Christ and the cross.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. ~ Isa 53:5 (NIV)

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God" ~ Romans 5:1-2 (NIV).


"...and through Him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross". ~ Colossians 1:20 (NIV)

Peace, wrapped in the form of shoes? Think about it. There are so many different types of shoes we wear-tennis shoes to run in, sandals for leisure, work shoes or boots. So too can peace come in many forms. Shoes also offer several benefits:
protection, support, traction, performance, and comfort. So to can peace offer or come from Gods protection, support, traction, performance, and comfort. Sandals of Peace become a weapon in our godly walk as a Proverbs 31 Woman!

This week, take each of these benefits and meditate on them. Pray them for your own life. Engrave them into your heart, mind and soul. Ready yourself, prepare yourself, stabilized yourself...

Monday: Protection
The peace of God comes from knowing and living in His Word. Knowing and living in the instruction of Christ yields a peace that can way far more than anything this world can offer. It is the kind of peace that protects and keep the Proverbs 31 woman from stumbling.


Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. ~ Ps. 119:165

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Phil 4:7 (NIV)

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ~ John 16:33 (NIV)
Tuesday: Support & Traction
This kind of peace supports and strengths your heart. No matter what the Proverbs 31 Woman faces, He is her traction. She knows in putting on the Sandals of Peace each morning, she is ready for the race ahead of her. He will lead her.


In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. ~ Exodus 15:13 (NIV)

It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.
2 Sam. 22:33 (NIV)

"...Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. ~ Isa. 54:10 (NIV)

For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?
It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. ~ Ps. 18: 31-33 (NIV)

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. ~ Ps. 28:7 (NIV)

Wednesday: Security
His peace is her security.
He is her security. She chooses to put on the Sandals of Peace as a way of committing and clinging to His promises.

I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely. ~ Ps. 63:8 (NLT)

For the Lord is your security. He will keep your foot from being caught in a trap. ~ Prov. 3:26 (NLT)

Those who fear the Lord are secure; [she] will be a refuge for their children. ~ Prov. 14:26 (NLT)

We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them. ~ 1John 5:18 (NIV)

“Let the beloved of the LORD rest
secure in Him, for He shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between His shoulders.” ~ Deut. 33:12 (NIV)

LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.~ Ps. 16:5 (NIV)

Thursday: Performance
It is the peace behind her everyday living. She invites Him into her day and continually seeks Him. He is her power, her drive.
He is her motivation.

For God watches how people live; he sees everything they do. ~Job 34:21 (NLT)

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. ~ Ps. 91:1 (NLT)

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. ~ Rom. 15:13 (NIV)

13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. 19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
~ Eph 2


Friday: Comfort
His peace is her comfort. In the good times and bad, she finds comfort in His love, His grace and his mercy. She doesn't keep His comfort to herself but extends to others who cross her path.


Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ~ Ps. 23:4 (NIV)
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
~ 2 Cor. 1:4


Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant.
Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your instructions are my delight. ~ Ps. 119: 76-77 (NLT)

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. ~ John 14:27 (NIV)
The Proverbs 31 Woman has to dress for battle each morning. Satan knows her heart belongs to God and knows she can be dangerous against satan as she serves her master and Lord. In putting on the Belt of Truth and the Sandals of Peace, she is that much more stronger in Christ.

I leave with you this week with the words of
Jesus from John 20:21 :“Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” As you seek His peace, put on again the Belt of Truth and slip into the Sandal of Peace each morning. Be His warrior and be His maidservant. Be a woman after His own heart.


Believing Him~Pamela

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I know you've been doing this series for a while now. I've been reading. But today, I wanted to comment :) Thank you. Thank you so much for being faithful to post and encourage us as women of God. I appreciate you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sandals of peace and today's prayer focus on "performance." Just a bit ago, I sent all the kids out of the house to go watch a movie so I could have a bit of "peaceful time" to focus on Sunday's work. I invited God to enter into my deliberations and asked him for his guidance and strength to lead me along.

He is my strong footing in the midst of shifting sands. How thankful I am for a God who never leaves my side!

Peace to you, sister.

~elaine