Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Entering Lent


Memory/Meditation Verse: “For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. Anyone who believes in Him is not condemned, but anyone who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the One and Only Son of God." ~ John 3:16-18


The lent season is upon us and for whatever reason, I feel it calling me, beckoning me to participate in its journey. I'm not catholic. Not that it matters. It seems that most religions seem to participate in the Lent season these days in some way or another. But its not about the religious practices for me. It a burning in my soul that compels me towards a journey.


"For Christ love compels us..." ~ 2 Cor. 5:14 (HCSB)


Have you ever been at a point in your spiritual walk that the whole concept of Calvary and what Christ had to go through for our justification, our freedom just seems to be too mind boggling? There are days I want to just say "Really God, this was the only way to get our attention?"

What about His choice? Doesn't it seems so cruel, so inhumane?



"For Christ love compels us..." ~ 2 Cor. 5:14 (HCSB)


Could this flesh and these bones really be that valuable to cause Him to make such a decision to send His Son to a cross in such a grotesques manner? How can such an imperfect mind wrap around this worth it has to its Creator?


"For Christ love compels us..." ~ 2 Cor. 5:14 (HCSB)

All because of love. A tender, precious love for people He knew would fail Him. A compassionate and loving grace for a sinners embrace. Life conquered by death to be conquered by life again. A miracle beyond the grasp of any scientific investigation.


"For Christ love compels us..." ~ 2 Cor. 5:14 (HCSB)

I am compelled to enter this season of Lent in love...His love compels me, convicts me. It is a conviction to grow more in love with Him and to demonstrate His love by loving others. I know...sounds simple but I am afraid its not for this child of God. It has become a nagging conviction to love as He loves. To love beyond the frustrations of another's actions. To love when I am exhausted. To love a hurting, lonely, or broken soul.


"For Christ love compels us..." ~ 2 Cor. 5:14 (HCSB)

God loved us so much He gave His Son as a sacrifice to prove our worth in His family lineage. For me, that's enough to compel me to love back. It will require a sacrificing of self, a struggle I have endure way to long. But I am compelled His love is worth the sacrifice.


Oh, my Holy and Sovereign God, be Lord of my life. I may struggle at times to gasp your majesty, your carefully laid plans and even the love that you carry for me, your daughter. Help me to love as you love. Help me to sacrifice myself, my wants, my desires, and my needs so I can love others as you love them. May you find favor with me during this season of Lent. ~ AMEN

Living Out Loud ~ Pamela

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

There's a lot to consider with the cross. As I've been reflecting on the mystery/wonder of it all, I've been brought to me knees, again, in grateful thanks for the pilgrimage Christ made of my behalf.

I love Lent... so much more than Advent. My spiritual focus is greater and more able to entreat the love of Jesus than during the Christmas season. This is the Christian's season, our Easter pilgrimage. Without it, we are a people left undone, unfinished, and so very unaware of our need.

Keep to the road, sister.

peace~elaine