Monday, December 31, 2007

Empty out the old to allow God!

I had so much to draw from in my scripture reading and devotion this morning! It has been such a rich year for me spiritually and I graciously thank my God for that. Daily we are called to empty ourselves of our past (Phil 3:12-14) whether painful or successful (pride?). Are we not also called to empty ourselves from our wants and desires so that we can make room for God in our life? He doesn't give us more than we can handle and He desires for us to have a servants heart for Him, to be secure in Him: Psalms 16:5 (NIV) "LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure". Is there not comfort and peace in that no matter where we go, no matter what road we are called to travel, God is there with us? He will see that as we enter into this New Year, trusting fully in Him, that "we will be able to anything through Him who will give us His strength" (Philippians 4:13) and "He will meet all our needs according to His riches" (Philippians 4:19). In Him we can enter into this New Year content and secure.
I am so excited about what God plans to do in and through me for 2008! We are called to be willing.We are called to empty ourselves of our past (the pain and/or successes) and of our future wants so that He can use us. Use 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ" to motivate you to move from your past and into this New Year to be used By God.
I received a small gift yesterday from a member of our Sunday school class my husband leads. On the cover was the following inscription which I give to you today. May it bless you as it blessed me!
Just think, you're here not by chance,
but by God's choosing.
His hand formed you and made you the person you are.
He compares you to no one else-
you are one of a kind.
You lack nothing that His grace can't give you.
He has allowed you to be here at this time in history
to fulfill His special purpose for this generation.
~Roy Lessin
What do you hope to accomplish for God in this New Year? What do you hope God will accomplish in you this New Year?
Summing it all up, friends,
I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds
and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—
the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.
Put into practice what you learned from (God), what you heard and saw and realized.
Do that, and God, who makes everything work together,
will work you into his most excellent harmonies.
~Philippians 4:8&9 (The Message)
In His Graces~Pamela

No comments: