- Romans 12:9 instructs us to renew our minds by not being conformed to those things that are not of God: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will".
- Hoping in God brings strength and renewal to our mind and our lives: "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isaiah 40:31.
- Put on the knowledge of God, memorizing scripture, renews the mind and creates us into the image of Christ: "and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator" Col. 3:10.
- Deuteronomy 11:18 instructs us to live in the truth of God's word "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads".
- God desires of us to have willing mind: "And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever" 1 Chronicles 28:9.
- We are to use our minds to seek out those things that are of God: "So I turned my mind to understand, to investigate and to search out wisdom and the scheme of things and to understand the stupidity of wickedness and the madness of folly" Ecclesiastes 7:25.
- Our mind is to keep steadfast on Christ and His will for our life: "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you" Isaiah 26:3.
- Like Daniel we should "set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God..."Daniel10:12.
- And what did Jesus say to Peter when his mind was not in line with Christ? "Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men" Matthew 16:23
- Matthew 22:37 commands us to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."
- Paul warns in Romans 7:23 that our minds are in war with sin: "but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members."
- We are to make our minds slave to God's will: "Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. Romans 7:25.
- Romans 8:5 instructs us in ho we are to live: "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
- Romans 8:6 "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace". what do we fill our minds with? what do we read, watch and take in on a daily basis?
- If Paul tells us in Romans 14: 13 "Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way" should we not put stumbling blocks in our own path?
- We have the mind of God when we know Him "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ" I Corinthians 2:16.
- We revive the mind with prayer and singing praises to our Lord: "So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind" I Corinthians 14:15.
And I feel these scriptures speak for themselves in what we must do to renew our mind...
- Ephesians 4:23 "to be made new in the attitude of your minds"
- Col. 3:2 "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things".
- 1Peter 1:13 "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed".
- Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".
Ralph Waldo Emerson said "A man is what he thinks about all day long". What ways on your mind? What do you put into you minds path? Do you only allow healthy thoughts? Norman Vinct Peale states "Change your thoughts and you change your world". I find filling my mind with scripture and spiritual readings keeps me mentally healthy. With practice, I have been able to only allow truth thoughts to linger in my mind, not the "what if's". We have to renew our minds by daily seeking God's truth, living in His truth, being comitted to His truth and apply His truths in our life.
What do you do to maintain a healthy mind?
Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God ~2 Corinthians 7:1
In His Graces~Pamela