I don't think God is asking us to completely take the "I" factor out or otherwise we would not be able to be His warmth, His light, His fragrance in the cold, dark, and foul world that is trying to encompass God's creation. We are "messengers, errand runners" for our God, our God and Christ all bright and beautiful! We will never be able to measure up to our God's likeness but it is such a joy trying, don't you think?
As I have journeyed in my prayer devotional series "Praying with Purpose" by Stephen Nelson Rummage, he ended the book describing all that God is. The attributes Stephen listed are His glory to which we try to honor and praise Him for. When you sit back and examine this list, we fall short in our minds to truly take it all in...His magnitude, His power, His existence. But we have to attempt to, we owe Him that.
I am including this list of attributes Pastor Rummage listed on 214-215 in his book for you to reflect on as you carry on in your life, striving to be His messenger, His errand runner. Maybe take one of the attributes each day of this week and praise God for it throughout that day, glorify Him for who He is. The promise is that the more we try to know Him, the more we try to understand Him, the more of Him we will have in our life, the more we will reflect Him and carry Him out to other in this cold, dark, and foul world.
- He is Self-existence. All created things have a beginning and a cause, but not God.
- He is self-sufficient. God created all there is-not out of any need that He has-but simply because it pleases Him.
- He is eternal. For God, yesterday, today, and tomorrow are all "now".
- He is infinite. Everything about God is without limit. He knows no bounds.
- He is changeless. God has no need to change, because He is perfect. He shines with unflickering perfection.
- He is omniscient. God knows everything. He is never surprised and never amazed.
- He is omnipotent. God has all power. There is nothing too difficult for Him to do.
- He is all-wise. God sees everything in focus. His wisdom is without flaw.
- He is transcendent. God is above all things. He actively sustains His creation, but stands apart from it.
- He is omnipresent. He is fully and always everywhere. Though He is transcendent above us, He is ever present with us.
- He is faithful. We may be unfaithful to Him due to fear, weakness, or our own desires, but God will never waiver in His devotion to us.
- He is good. Because God is good, He takes pleasure in the happiness of His people.
- He is just. God's perfect righteousness will not leave the guilty unpunished.
- He is merciful. Through Christ, God extends compassion to those who have offended His justice.
- He is gracious. God offers eternal and abundant life as a gift of His grace.
- He is loving. God loves is personal, intimate, and transforming, having no beginning and no end.
- He is holy. God is completely different from humanity. While we may fear God's power and admire His wisdom, we cannot even imagine His holiness.
- God is sovereign. God rules His creation with absolute sovereignty. He alone governs the universe He has made.
WOW. Can you imagine if we truly could reflect all that God is to others? Our world needs us to.
We all, with unveiled faces, are reflecting the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit. ~ 2 Corinthians 3:18
As the "cloud filled the house of the Lord" the day that Solomon dedicated the temple of Jerusalem (1 King 8:10-11), I pray your week is filled with the blessed heaviness of God's presence.